What is Addiction?
Addiction is a chronic disorder characterized by drug seeking and use that is compulsive, or difficult to control, despite harmful consequences. There are many things people can become addicted to, including gambling, sex, work, shopping, and even the Internet. These addictions can cause significant distress in a person's life. Persistent people who are addicted may have trouble stopping the problematic behavior. They may feel like they're unable to function properly without it, or that they need it to cope with their feelings.
How can you Differentiate Addiction and Habit?
- Addiction - An addiction is defined as a compulsive dependence on a behavior, persistent, or substance. The term has been replaced partially by the word "dependence" for substance abuse. Addiction changes the brain, by subverting the way it registers pleasure and then by corrupting other normal drives like learning and motivation.
- Habit - A habit is formed when behavior is repeated multiple times over some time. To create a habit, you must repeat the same behavior over and over again until it becomes an uncontrollable urge (an addiction).
Think of a habit as something that you do that you can probably stop if you wanted to. Addictions are habits that have gotten out of control and interfere with things like your family, work, and even your health.
Common types of Addictions
- Alcohol - It is the most common type of addiction. Excessive drinking can lead to many types of problems including marital conflict, health issues, legal problems, and job issues.
- Tobacco/nicotine - Nicotine dependence is another common type of addiction. Nicotine is found in tobacco products and e-cigarettes, and it’s highly addictive.
- Illicit drugs - Illicit drug use is highest among young adults aged 18-25 years (7 percent).
- Prescription drugs - Prescription drug addiction occurs when someone cannot stop taking medication that was prescribed to them by a doctor.
- Food Internet - Food addiction can take several forms; some people become addicted to food because they have an emotional attachment to it while others have developed a physical dependence on carbohydrates and sugar.
- Sexual Addiction - Sexual addiction involves compulsive sexual thoughts and actions and often affects people who have had previous sexual trauma in their lives.
- Gambling - Gambling addiction is characterized by compulsive betting despite its negative consequences; in some cases, this addiction can lead to financial problems.
Symptoms of Being Addicted
It's hard to admit when you have a problem. Denial is the first step of any addiction because admitting that what you're doing is hurting you can be scary, depressing, and overwhelming—especially if you're not sure how to overcome it. The best part about it is that you don't have to go through it alone. Many people I've been in your shoes and they know how to help. Here are some symptoms that say you might have an addiction:
- Experiencing cravings.
- Losing control over how much you use or engage in compulsive behavior.
- Develop tolerance to a substance or activity so that you need more to get the same effect.
- Behaving compulsively and obsessively.
- Failing to fulfill responsibilities at work, school, or home because of use or compulsive behavior.
- Ignoring social obligations, family functions and other activities once considered important.
- Using despite negative consequences.
Factors of Addiction
- Family history of addiction - If you have a parent or other close relative with alcohol or drug problems, you're more likely to develop these issues yourself.
- Childhood trauma - Abuse or neglect during childhood can raise your risk of developing an addiction later in life.
- Mental illness - If you have anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, or another mental health disorder, your chances of becoming addicted are higher.
Steps to Overcome your Addiction
The foremost step to overcoming your addiction issues is to admit you have a problem. Once you can do that, you can start with some of these steps in your addiction therapy :
- Realize that there’s no easy or quick fix.
- Get support from other people.
- Learn to cope without your addiction.
- Work on changing your habits and routines.
How Can My Fit Brain Will Help You to Overcome Your Addiction Problem?
My Fit Brain is one of the leading Counselling platforms offering you the best counseling services of the best counselors in India. Our Counsellors are highly experienced and certified in the field of Therapy. My fit brain offers you counseling services in both online and offline forms. You can choose any form according to your convenience. Our main aim is to relieve our clients from all of their problems. Here are a few reasons why you should get your Addiction Issues Counselling Sessions done with My Fit Brain
- Our Counsellors try to engage you in a series of brain training activities that have been scientifically proven to help with memory, concentration, and information processing speed.
- Our Counsellor works on improving your brain's ability to deal with triggers, cravings, and impulses so that they are less powerful than they once were.
- The Counsellors of My Fit Brain are licensed and certified counselors, certified addiction counselors, and other professionals who are well trained in addiction therapy.
- My Fit Brain will provide you with the most effective treatment for your individual needs, which may include medications, behavioral therapy, and peer support groups among other options.
- You will be offered 24*7 online counseling services on our platform. There's no need to check the Counsellors availability and wait for weeks for the appointment. You can consult a therapist at any time according to your convenience.
Book your Addiction Issues Counselling Now and get relieved from your problems!
- You can visit our website My Fit Brain to get the Counselling sessions done by the best counselors in India.
- There's no need to visit a counselor personally; you can book an Online Counselling and consult the best therapist from any part of the world.
- Get your Online Counselling sessions scheduled now!