Hi, as a Nutritionist, I am sharing some lines of actions to be taken while being quarantined to improving the immunity system, and fight COVID.
Here are the ways to increase the immunity system, helps to fight against Coronavirus Nutrition plays a very important role in maintaining and enhancing immunity. The foods help in improving immunity are:
- FRUITS :
Such as Amla, Orange, Lemons, Papaya, Kiwi. These are rich in vitamin C and help in improving your immunity. Daily have 100 g to 150 g of any of these fruit as a snack
Such as Bell peppers and Broccoli. Where bell peppers contain twice as much vitamin C like citrus fruits and they are also a rich source of beta carotene. Broccoli is rich in vitamins A, C, and E, as well as many other antioxidants and fiber. Consume both as a soup during dinner. It will enhance immunity
Such as garlic, ginger. Garlic contains sulfur compounds such as allicin helps in boosting immunity. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that will help in improving immunity. Add ginger and garlic in the daily diet. Hot beverages like herbal teas, rasam (South Indian recipe) with black pepper, etc will be more helpful. Include racism (south Indian recipe) with black pepper and garlic etc
- NUTS & SEEDS:
Such as Almonds and Walnuts rich in vitamin E, have antioxidant properties and helps in improving immunity. Daily have 5 pieces of almonds or 3 walnuts, A tsp of sunflower seeds can be added in the daily diet
- NON-VEG FOOD :
Fish are rich sources of omega 3 fatty acids and chicken rich in iron and Vitamin B6. Cook non-veg foods such as fish. Chicken properly and consume. One day 100 g can be consumed. Limit to weekly once. Avoid eating non-veg from outside.
Limit oil intake to 3 tsp or 15 gm. Avoid deep-fried foods
- Eat enough PREBIOTICS AND PROBIOTIC-RICH FERMENTED FOODS.
Probiotics enhance gut health and thereby immunity. Include curd, buttermilk in your daily diet
Stay well hydrated. Drink plenty of water, if possible warm water with fennel, cumin, coriander seeds. Waters help our body to produce lymph which carries white blood cells and other immune system cells.
- TEA/ COFFEE:
Limit tea and coffee that can make us dehydrated. Restrict to 1 to 2 cups. Not more than that. Green tea has antioxidant properties and boosts immunity. Swap regular tea with Green tea in the daily routine.
- COOKING PRACTICES:
Pressure cook foods. Include sautéed vegetables, hot soups in the daily diet. Avoid raw salads, veg juices for now. Consume foods that are easy to digest.
Good sleep boosts immunity. During sleep, the body makes cytokines which are a type of protein that targets infection and inflammation. Without sufficient sleep, the body makes fewer cytokines and hence will have low immunity. Try to have 7 to 8 hours sleep daily.
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY:
Regular Exercise, Yoga, Pranayam or Breathing Exercises help in improving immunity by better oxygenating the tissues. Incorporate daily 30 mins your favorite sport or walk
Rich source of Vit. D. Try to expose to sunlight for 15 to 20 mins weekly 3 times between 11 am and 2 pm., covering your head, without any sunscreen.
- STRESS AND IMMUNITY:
Research shows that people who are under severe stress have low white blood cell counts. That means they will have low immunity. Mediation is an effective tool to calm your mind, alter brain waves and achieve a sense of deeper relaxation and serenity and thereby reducing stress
This time when going to the grocery store, follow this simple rule to select fruits and vegetables. The more colorful the fruits and vegetables are, the better in improving the immunity.
What Should Do’s and Don’ts for Improving Immunity System to Fight COVID-19?
Do’s for improving immunity
- Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise regularly.
- Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.
- Minimize stress with yoga and meditation
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Get adequate sleep.
- If you have an alcohol drinking habit, drink only in moderation
- If you are present in the very crowded area then try to keep your nose covered with a multilayered handkerchief with pre-poured with KAVROL PLUS DECONGESTANT CAP or eucalyptus oil, it will give resistance towards virus to your nasal mucus layer.
Don'ts for improving immunity
- Don't smoke.
- Avoid touching any surface areas in public places . in case you touched it by mistake then try to wash hands with alcohol-based hand wash or use sanitizer.
- Avoid raw foods, juices or ice creams
- Avoid Deep-fried foods
- Avoid eating from Unhygienic places, or places where food is kept open
Some Home Remedies helps to Increase Immunity
- Drinking lukewarm water made of turmeric OR ginger OR tulsi OR black pepper will be even more helpful. (if you are prone to acidity then keep the concentration of the above very less. Warm water has the capacity to flush the virus from throat to stomach and in the stomach, it will die. but if it travels to the lungs then one has to face pneumonia issues. and lung collapse.
- Hot drinks made of ginger, lemon, honey
- Make and drink hot soups made of palak, broccoli and bell peppers
- Amla is the best immune-boosting herb, keep taking it in all available forms.
- Guduchi (cordifoila Tinospora) or giloy can be taken for overall immune development and specifically for all kinds of fevers. Available in tablet and liquid forms in the market.
- Eating bolete leaf (paan) with kapoor, clove, areca nut, nutmeg (jaiphal), a dried ginger little powder, Chandan powder- this ancient combination is for increasing physical immunity as well as for your intellect, to be taken after major meal twice per day.