The ongoing pandemic is playing foul for all. Due to that, a mental state is being disbanded. Relationships are at stake. As per the report of Statista, 80 percent of cases of domestic violence have increased during this time. Stress and depression are causing severe problems in relations. The famous psychologist Alex Munro says, “we have not seen such a crucial period when men and women are near to each other, but the relation is denuded and debauched like hell”.
DR. NEHA MEHTA, Clinical Psychologist, Hisar, Haryana is practising to solve these issues. This article enumerates some of the depression problems and issues.
Effects of Depression on Relationship
1. There are many types of relationships. You are in a loving relationship, not only with your partner but also with your parents, kids, friends.
Remember that when you are stressed in that relationship for any reasons or any problems. And when it is continuing. It makes a negative impact on their relationship. Sometimes we can understand the problem. But moreover, we might face some uneasiness with some issues which we cannot understand.
2. Relationship and depression both are cyclic terms, and it works like parallel lines. When there is a depression, it affects your normal and healthy relationship. If a relationship is in trouble, then there is a high chance to be depressed.
Now you should try to understand why you or your partner feel uneasy to talk, why you both are fighting for some simple reasons? Some of these types of problems are destroying your relationship.
3. You may feel that you cannot give 100% in your relationship; something is missed. The connection is not like previous days, and something is changed. Clinical Psychologist DR. NEHA MEHTA says, when you are depressed, you cannot give 100% in your relationship. In a relationship, if you are facing some trouble or you have any fights for that reason, you might be depressed.
4. Understanding and identifying a relationship problem is crucial. Try to analyse the root. Go to the deep core. Dr Neha Mehta says that discussion and eagerness to connect are two effective solutions to relationship problems.
Behavioural Changes due to depression
Behavioural Symptoms – If you feel that your partner’s energy level have deceased. If you had enjoyed something previously and that you are not enjoying now. You may go for shopping or hanging out together and feel that you became less attentive and your partner is ignoring you.
You may feel your partner is listening to you or not. Now a day, your partner might get irritated in simple things and wants to stay alone or isolated himself or herself. Somewhere these symptoms are the signs of depression.
Depression behaviour in males and females
* Female - Usually females can express themselves when they are stressed. They find someone who can listen to her problems and give the solution.
* Male - In the case of males, they usually suppress their problems by themselves and starts finding a solution by themselves. May they feel that what they will do by telling if she cannot understand. It might be due to any discontent related to their office or any problems related to his parents, or any kind of financial cases etc.
Studies have revealed that male partners get more irritated on repeated enquiries. The feminine gender always harps upon asking again and again. This notion is called conciliation-ism. Repeated pleas for something are denuded situation further. It is thus needed that the opposite genders understand the problems and try to give time. Dr Gupta says sometimes it is essential to remain calm and sit beside your partner rather than imploring what has happened.
Avoiding Normal Activities
* Starting new addictions on smoking or any sorts of intoxication, it might cause problems in the relationship.
* Sometimes the new addictions come from depression.
* when your partner or family member is irritated, then you will also be troubled by their activities.
* When your partner is irritated, you feel unworthy. Especially in females, they think that they are not that much attractive now. They start making thing in their mind like I might have said wrong words which have hurt their partner. Rather than thinking all these, we females have to support themselves.
* they have to find the cause of their depression, but instead of that, they start the fight. One partner thinks that the other partner is not interested in telling that matter or one partner has a new friend to share the value.
* In a relationship both of the partners should avoid these types of thinking. They should try to understand the causes, what is going on in their partner’s mind, ask him or her what they feel, and should try to solve the matter.
Lack of Sexual Desires
* When your partner is in depression, He or she feels tired, stressed.
* Depressed partner can not be attached mentally or physical like previous times.
* Lack of sexual desires can be a symptom of depression.
* Your partner may be troubled with a headache. Or different types of problems in his or her body. Your partner feels tired. All those physical problems also can be symptoms of depression.
The female generally becomes over self-criticizing
1. If you ask them why you are sad, they will say -no, I am not. I am fine.
2. Second phase when they start telling.
3. Third step when they start making themselves responsible for every reason. By this, You cannot resolve the problems. You make it more complicated.
Depression and relationship problems are a cyclic term. Stress can create problems in your relationship. That is not because of anyone’s or 3rd person entry in your relationship. That is because of your partner who is depressed for something.
Anther partner or friend should find the problems. Please try to understand your partner, parents, kids, friends. The reason behind their depression and support them. And do not take quick decision by destroying the relationship.
Now If this does not resolve by any of these methods within one month, consult with a psychologist.