Somatic illness or symptoms occur when a person feels extreme, exaggerated anxiety about physical symptoms. The person who suffers has such intense thoughts, feelings, and behaviour related to it.
The symptoms, that they can’t do some of the activities of daily causes on or more bodily symptoms, including pain.
If you are suffering from somatic illness, you may experience significant emotional and physical distress. Treatment can help ease the symptoms, help you to cope and improver your quality of life.
SYMPTOMS OF SOMATIC ILLNESS
- Specific sensations, such as pain or breathing problems, fatigue or weakness.
- The pain or distress would be in mild, moderate or severe condition.
- Constant worry about potential illness.
- Repeatedly checking your body for abnormalities.
- Thinking of that physical sensations are threatening or more harmful.
- Worry of physical activity may cause damage to your body.
- Fearing that symptoms are serious, even when there is no evidence.
- Pain is the most common symptom. In additionally having excessive thoughts, feelings or behavioural changes cause significant problems and make it even more difficult to function our body in a proper manner.
Prevention For Somatic Illness
How to prevent somatic symptoms, some of these recommendations may help:-
Physical Symptoms can be related to psychological distress also a high level of health anxiety may be the reason, psychotherapies will help to improve the symptoms especially Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) help you to improve your physical symptoms.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) can help you to:
- Learn how to reduce stress.
- Learn how to cope with physical symptoms.
- Improve daily functioning at work in relations or in social situations.
- Address depression and other mental health disorders.
Participate in activities:
- Stay involved in your work and in social or family activities. Don’t wait until you’re to participate. Get physically active.
- Learning stress management and relaxation techniques, such as progressives muscle relaxation may help to improve physical symptoms or pain.
Medications of Somatic Illness
Antidepressant medication can help reduce symptoms associated with depression and pain that often occur with somatic illness.
The focus of treatment is to improve daily life functioning, stress reduction is often an important part of getting better. Counselling’s for family and friends may also be useful to recovery even more early seeing your doctor for regular checkups is the most important part of your treatment. It will help you to maintain your health.