Q. I have come to you with a very awkward problem of my friend. He is 24 years old. He works in a medical company. He has a very awkward behaviour pattern that is - he has a tendency to expose the genitalia to strangers from far usually to the opposite sex. I have caught him doing in public places most of the time. I have asked him many times reason behind this he only said for excitement and pleasure he uses to do so. He is in a relationship with a girl. And there he has lots of conflicts. He doesn't abuse girls sexually as per my knowledge but uses to expose his genitalia to public places to any stranger is very odd to me. Please tell me how to help him as he doesn't want to visit any Psychologists.
Hello sir! I can understand it sounds a bit awkward to see your friend behaving sexually different for which he has no regrets.
1.tendency to expose genitalia in public often.
2. Lost of conflicts between their relationship with girlfriend
3. Behaving for pleasure and excitement.
Before giving you some suggestions. Let me help you to understand the problem he's going through. Dear, this problem is exhibitionism which comes under sexual paraphernalia. This is more prominent in males, having tendency to expose genitals in public and strangers. As u mentioned too, these clients doesn't take help themselves because they find pleasure in it, they only seek help when they have a problem in sexual life with partners.
1. Hormonal excitement like testosterone which urges to seek pleasure by exposing
2. Victim of emotional abuse in childhood like separation from mother or family members.
My suggestions for your friend would be
1. Firstly, talk to your friend and try to talk over him related to his childhood insecurities and fear
2. Involve his girlfriend, let her understand the problem and visit sexologist to know the insight of the problem as she can only insist for the same.
3. As he himself don't want to go to the doctor, an online voice chat can be encouraged.
4. Medicines and hormonal therapy work in combating the hormonal Disturbance.
5. Therapies like Reality THERAPY, cognitive behavioural therapy, aversion therapy can bring result.
6. Sometimes the person feels guilty inside, but can't leave the learning so empathy training can be given.
7. Sexual counselling, couple counselling are recommended.
8. 12-step sexual deaddiction programme along with group therapy can be given for the same. You are doing big help to your friend. Once he will be fine, he will be thankful to you. Keep doing great.
Read More Related Faqs
Q. What is Counseling?
Saying it simply, counselling is consulting with a therapist who is an objective, non-judgmental and professionally trained person, with whom you can share your innermost thoughts and feelings. This helps you to understand yourself better and helps you to address your emotional difficulties in a more adaptive fashion. These difficulties could be something you are faci.....Read Full Answer
Q. What to Expect From Counseling?
Any emotional problem or difficulty has its roots in our inner nature. Our feelings depend on how we think about ourselves, others and our situations. Often we think in ways that are not rational or we think about situations mistakenly. This is not because we are “foolish” or “wrong” in any way but because we have learnt to think of certain things only in cert.....Read Full Answer
Q. Is counselling for psychologically ill people or those with mental disorders? If I require counseling, does that mean I’m not “normal?”
Normalcy is perhaps one of the most hyped myths. There is no definition of normalcy. It consists of perhaps a group of personal reactions and situations that society finds desirable. However, all of us deviate from that standard in some or the other way. Requiring counseling simply means you are perhaps in a situation, which may be an external or internal situation, w.....Read Full Answer