Career counseling is a kind of assistance given by career counselors to enable the subjects to organize their voyage throughout life in terms of education and career path. It encompasses
making career choices
managing career changes
lifelong career development
• dealing with other career-related issues
There is no unanimous answer to the question of what is career counseling worldwide, but the phrase generally indicates a professional intervention in career issues that are supervised either in one-on-one or in a tiny group. Career counseling is just like other professional counseling in which the practitioners incorporate their guidance with counseling procedures in order to support consumers in making complicated decisions and confronting hard crises.
Career counseling originated in the USA and has now circulated worldwide to become a worldwide activity.
Career counselors can encourage people to fight career-related hardships. Their expertise, in career growth and job markets, enables them to frame a person's capabilities, knowledge, strengths, and drawback from a wide perspective. They also assess their
• desired salary
• particular hobbies and interests
• preferred area
• employment market
• and academic prospects
1. Through the assistance and teaching proficiency, career counselors can encourage people in achieving insight into
• what truly matters in their life
• how they can design their careers
• How they will make big decisions in times of crisis
2. Finally, career counselors are competent enough in
• helping their customers in exposing desirable jobs
• in solving disputes with their employers or
• learning about other useful services
Who are career counselors
Career counselors are generally well-educated research associates, communicators, and advocates whose education backs them up to supervise those seeking professional help. Most career instructors are master's degree holders, and some even have doctoral degrees. This precise education in career improvement facilitates them to guide the persons about fundamental tasks involved in the growth of personal career path.
Theories of career counseling
There are many numerous theories regarding career counseling. But nowadays, the most popular methods are
Person-Environment Fit Theory
The Cognitive Information Processing (CIP) Theory
Social Cognitive Theory
How do the career counselors work
There are numerous examinations the career counselors tend to utilize. Some inspections emphasize on uncovering your personality type and finding out a career matching with that particular personality. There are several aptitude tests also. These types of tests check your capabilities and match them with specific careers in terms of your skills. Many tests try to analyze personal values and then choose careers for you based on these values. Each theory has a different examination method.
• The Self-Directed Search method developed by John Holland is one of the widely adopted career counseling norms. It is translated into twenty distinct languages and can be performed online.
• Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is an assessment that seeks to explain your personality type by highlighting your intentions. Attempting the question-answer session, you can find the test includes personality introversion, perception, emotional feeling, and assessing or perceiving. There are sixteen evident personality combinations depicted on the scoring sheet for your comfort.
• Temperament and Values Indicator is an examination by which someone's values might connect with career choice. The test has two parts. The first relates to temperament, character, and career choice, while the second part associates with values and work satisfaction. The scores help you confirm whether your career goals justify your values and personality. This test mainly fulfills the needs of high school children. This test is not publicly accessible.
The reason to take career counseling
Here are some typical motives that clarify why people yearn for career counseling.
• If you are not convinced enough regarding your future or urge to know more about the career options suitable for you, a career counselor can support you. Talk with a career counselor to obtain aids and guidance that may encourage you to proceed.
• If you are not assuaged with your job, you can seek professional help. If you are waiting for some more options, a career trainer can help you identify your professional fondness so that you can earn more out of your recent job or reveal which domain is better for you.
• If you have an uncertain career path, it is better to seek help from the third party. You might have started with a definite career path in mind, but somehow your expectations are changed. A career counselor can work to verify a career path to enable you to take control of your proficient life.
• If you seek advice on pursuing your new career.
• If you want to strengthen your skill for advancement, you could get support from career counseling.
If you need to know "how does career counseling work," an experienced career counselor can give you the suggestion you expect. With an eye to modern job markets, career counselors offer relevant bits of help as well.
They can help you select your first job. If you are thinking about a change, a career trainer can assist you in the entire process. Your career counselor can help you assess your ability, recognize your objectives, and supervise your probable career through a sequence of conversations.
A powerful resume can catch the attention of every employer. Career trainers always cooperate with you in optimizing your resume. They can provide in composing a suitable format, finding your core skills, and configuring the result-oriented descriptions.
Interviews are a significant phase in job procedures. It offers you the chance to make a good impression with the interviewers. Career counselors are well aware that a clear and competent move builds the base of a wonderful interview. Professional job counselors can help you to weave your story neatly. Your career coach can help you to prepare for an interview, providing useful answers for general questions, and teach you also the use of body language to deliver your best appearance. They propose a detailed analysis for a successful interview and counsel you keeping in mind the follow-up strategy.
A competent career counselor can help you explore the choices for development and instruct you on how to get the best out of your career.