Four types of relationships are there, which we usually have in life. The four types are family relationships, friendships, acquaintanceships, and romantic relationships. The open relationship is a part of a romantic relationship. This article is all about searching what an open relationship is?.
What is an open relationship?
Open relation is such kind of romantic relationship which includes all types of romances such as dating, hanging out, marriage, and more. The difference is that people staying in an open relationship, unlike in close relationship mutually agrees to some facts.
One or both the partners can be romantically or sexually involved with other people outside the relationship. These facts are opposite to the traditional closed relationship.
An open relationship we often termed as a non-exclusive relationship. Partners get intimate. They shear emotional bonding too. But sexually, this relationship is mutually accepted as non-monogamous.
The term non-monogamous often refers to polyamory. But open relationships and polyamory are not the same. If we have to say about ‘open relationship versus polyamory,’ it can be said that the people who practice polyamory do not believe that sexual and relational exclusivity are needed for a romantic bonding.
Open Relationship Rules
We cannot say that there are some definite rules or formulas for open relationships. Every relationship is formed according to the taste, liking, and the nature of persons who are having the relationship.
Still, some guidelines can be stated in general. There is something that you should do and should not when you are in an open relationship.
* You should get rid of your jealousy.
We are human. We cannot escape that. That is why jealousy is a regular thing. So you better talk about it rather than pushing it under the carpet. That can cause problems.
* You should be clear with your partner that he or she is enough for you, but he or she is not the one and only. Love is not material. It does not get finished when you shear it more and more. The meaning of a close relationship states that you are my one and only. I may have experienced love from many, but you are at the top. I prefer you as you are the best. But this does go completely wrong in an open relationship. That is why you better understand ‘what is an open relationship?’
* You should not put your perceptions over your partner. We always fight according to our feelings in relationships, not according to facts.
* You should be a state of conversation at any time. You should not exaggerate or ignore the facts, the truths to fit your idea of the situation of there. Fighting is all about feeling, not facts. So you better talk.
* If you are in a state of wanting an open relationship, then you should always be positive to your partner. You should give them space even though you are angry or furious.
* You should be very clear about your desires from the relationship, and you should make it clear to your partner too.
* You can set boundaries for both you initially. But you should keep in mind that the same can be changed as the relationship develops and you should be flexible with it.
* You should be ready to talk about anything at any time. You should feel free with your partner.
* You should respect each other such as you do not label each other, but you do give a name to each other. That gives importance to your partner.
* You can never humiliate your partner just because you are jealous.
* You should keep in mind that the nature of an open relationship gets changed as the people change.
* You cannot force your partner and vice versa. And you can be non-monogamous while your partner is not and vice versa.
Open Relationship Facts
People in open relationships shear their feelings with each other. They trust each other—moreover, the sheer mental bonding to some extent.
Their non-monogamy is consensual, ethical, and responsible also. These are open to possibilities of life precisely.
They agree to the fact that they are having such kind of relationship where there are possibilities that they get attached to other people at the same time.
The role of social media in an open relationship
Nowadays, we are easily connected with people through social media. Every day we meet new people on these platforms. There are such platforms as Facebook, Instagram, and other dating sites where forming an open relationship is very easy.
Likeminded people can be found easily on these platforms.
Open Relationship Problems
Although these days, people preferring open relationships as they do not want more pressure in life, but the open relationship is not always so peaceful and easy-going.
There are problems with communication, honesty, time, freedom, jealousy, and more.
There is a solid chance of being infected with a sexually transmitted disease.
Sometimes you get confused. You may feel awkward in front of friends.
You may lack the feeling of being someone special. It can be repetitive and boring for you.
Open relationship meaning in different languages
The meaning of open relationships in different languages is fun. The purpose of it in Bengali is ‘unmukta samparka.’ An open relationship is termed ‘turana bandham’ in Malayalam and ‘khule rishte’ in Hindi.
Types of Open Relationship
An open relationship is open to everything signifying its name. One or both can be non-monogamous. One or both can be mentally attached to another one or more.
There are numerous possibilities open for the person who is in an open relationship.
Open Relationship Movies
There are numerous movies on an open relationship like ‘whatever works,’ ‘breaking the news,’ ‘5 to 7’, ‘big love,’ and more.
Open Relationship Pros and Cons
You cannot be demanding. You cannot be rigid about your desires. You cannot push your partner into a corner and make your partner compelled.
You should behave like you are teammates, and you are in this together. You should not give any ultimatum ever.
The most important thing you should be unfailingly and relentlessly honest with your partner.
The exploration of new boundaries brings the idea of ‘what is an open relationship?’
MY FIT BRAIN with the team of counselors, is providing online counseling services, making it easier for their client, to seek a solution to the problem they are facing in their life.